Karen Dybis, the author of Secret Detroit: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure, stops by the podcast to talk about her new book (1:06:06). Also, author Karen Dionne talks about the prospect of her best-selling novel, The Marsh King's Daughter, getting turned into a major motion picture (18:00). Kevin Peterson and Jane Larsen talk about Sfumato and Castalia, their Midtown fragrance company that doubles as a craft cocktail bar (47:35).
Welcome to our new co-host, Jag! You can find his other podcast here.
Best of luck to our departing co-host, Mike Geeter! You can follow his comedy career here.
Got a suggestion for a Detroit-based Mother's Day gift or experience? Email us!
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of April 16, 2018:
- Wednesday 4/18: Matt & Kim at Royal Oak Music Theatre
- Thursday 4/19: Papa Roach at The Fillmore
- Thursday 4/19: Jack White at The Little Caesars Arena
- Saturday 4/21: John Waters at El Club
- Saturday 4/21: Quennsryche, Lita Ford, Dokken & Downtrend at The Masonic Temple
- Saturday 4/21: Rick Astley at St. Andrew's Hall
- Sunday 4/22: Indigo Girls at Sound Board
- Tuesday 4/24: Camila Cabello at The Fillmore
- The Ann Arbor Showcase: Matt McClowry
- The Holly Hotel: Kevin Kramis
- Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle in Royal Oak: Dave Attel
- Punch Line Comedy Lounge in Southfield: Tony Rock
- Wednesday 4/18: Bill Murray, Jan Volger & Friends at The Fillmore
- Thursday 4/19: Lisa Lampanelli at the Sound Board
- Friday 4/20: Tim Allen at The Fox Theatre
- Friday 4/20: Nick Swardson at the Royal Oak Music Theatre
- The Fox Theatre: Maks, Val & Peta Live
- Detroit Repertory Theatre: Harmony Park
- Fisher Theatre: School of Rock
- Michigan Opera: Paul Taylor Dance Company
- The Tipping Point Theatre in Northville: Ripcord! A Dangerously Funny Battle of Wills
- Wayne State's Bonstelle Theatre: Sister Act the Musical
- Wayne State's Hillberry Theatre: King Lear
- On Sale: Wicked at the Detroit Opera House
- Sunday 4/22: Earth Day at the Michigan Science Center
- Friday 4/27: Sips, Tips, & Scholarships at the Stanley Kresge Mansion
- Vote for the Detroit Zoo's Polk Penguin Exhibit in USA Today‘s Readers' Choice Poll
- Congratulations to Ferndale's Voyager on being named one of Food & Wine magazine's “Restaurants of the Year”