Artist Sarey Ruden joins Seth and Becky on the podcast to talk about her artistic renditions of online dating messages and her upcoming exhibition at Detroit's Dirty Show. (See our past interview with Sarey for more photos.)
Also, actor Marc Evan Jackson of The Good Place and Brooklyn Nine-Nine talks about his upcoming improv performance at The Fillmore with Paul F. Tompkins in support of The Detroit Creativity Project. (To hear Seth's entire conversation with Marc, download our mobile app.)
Plus, Encore Michigan Publisher and Editor David Kiley calls in to talk about what's happening in the Detroit theatre scene and offer his take on Aaron Sorkin's Broadway version of To Kill a Mockingbird starring Jeff Daniels.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of January 21, 2018:
- Thursday 1/24: Kongos at Saint Andrews Hall
- Saturday 1/26: The Spinners at Andiamo Showroom
- Saturday 1/26: Will Session and Amp Fiddler with Dame Brown, Black Noi$e at The Magic Stick
- Monday 1/28: Sam Harris of the Waking Up podcast at The Fillmore
Greta Van Fleet on Saturday Night Live
- The U.S. Figure Skating Championships are at the Little Caesars Arena all week
- Thursday 1/24: Piff the Magic Dragon at the Majestic Theatre
- Thursday 2/14: Whitney Cummings at Caesars Windsor
- Friday 1/25: Mr. Jackson & Mr. Tompkins: A Two-Gentleman Improv Show at the Fillmore
- Friday 1/25: Hamilton tickets go on sale
- Tuesday 1/29: Josh Adams at Punch Line Comedy Lounge in Southfield
- Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle in Royal Oak: Brett Riley
- Detroit Repertory Theatre: The House on Poe Street
- The Ringwald Theatre in Ferndale: Significant Other (closing)
- Slipstream Theatre in Ferndale: Three Tall Women (closing)
- Tipping Point Theatre in Northville: The Last Five Years (opening)
Marc Evan Jackson and Kristen Bell on The Good Place Podcast
- The season opener of the TV show The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime, titled “Motown Funk,” takes place in Detroit.
- The Detroit Institute of Arts is offering free admission to workers affected by the federal government shutdown.
- See photographer Cyrus Tetteh's “Neighborhood Natives” exhibit at the Detroit Public Library Main Branch.
- Thursday 1/24: Shannon Cason and Jeremy Hansen host “Stories Upstairs,” a storytelling open mic at the River's Edge Gallery in Wyandotte.
The Grand Tour in Detroit
Food & Drink
- Olga Loizon, the founder of Olga's Kitchen, has passed away.
- These restaurants are supporting furloughed federal government workers: Vinsetta Garage, Downtown Louie's, Bobcat Bonnie's, Blue Nile, and Valentine Distilling.
- Congratulations to Fusion Flare Kitchen & Cocktails on their grand opening!
“Survival of the Feminist” by Sarey Ruden
- Congratulations to Khalilah Smith on being named the 2018 Michigan State University Rodeo Queen.
- Richard Phillips was sent to prison for a murder he did not commit. You can support him by purchasing his art, on display at the Community Art Gallery at Level One Bank in Ferndale.
- Check out these new stand-up comedy albums: Trigger Warning by Sam Rager and Attempted Salvation by Robert Jenkins.
- Listen to The Good Place podcast hosted by Marc Evan Jackson.
“Jewish Girls Are Freaky” by Sarey Ruden