Detroit stand-up comedian Simply Shanell joins Seth and Becky on the podcast to talk about what's happening in Detroit this week, including the Detroit Music Awards, Motown's 60th anniversary, and the Detroit filmmakers that are addressing injustice.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of April 22, 2019:
- Thursday4/25 – Saturday 4/27: Ferndale Spring Fever at The Loving Touch, The Magic Bag, Otus Supply & New Way Bar
- Friday 4/26: Puddle of Mudd at Harpos
- Friday 4/26: See the Prince movie Purple Rain at The Redford Theatre
- Friday 4/26 & Saturday 27: Pink at Little Caesars Arena
- Saturday 4/27: Hunter Hayes at Royal Oak Music Theatre
- On Sale Now: Thursday 6/20: George Clinton at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill
- On Sale Now: Monday 7/1: Grace Jones at The Masonic Temple
HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on District Detroit
- Tuesday 4/23: HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel episode on District Detroit premieres
- Friday 4/26: Urban Astronomy at Beacon Park
- Friday 4/26: Trevor Noah at The Fox Theatre
- Saturday 4/27: Chelsea Handler at The Fillmore
- Sunday 4/28: Clean Comedy Brunch with Mike Bonner and friends at the Punchline in Southfield
- Meadow Brook Theatre in Rochester: The Marvelous Wonderettes opening
- The documentary Dare to Struggle, Dare to Win about police brutality in Detroit won the Freep Film Festival's Audience Choice Award.
- Dream Hampton, the filmmaker behind Surviving R. Kelly, was named one of Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People of 2019.
Surviving R. Kelly Trailer
Food & Drink
- Woodward Ave. Bar & Grille is now open.
- The historical Shores Theater at Nine Mile & Mack in St. Clair Shores which goes back to the 1930's, has been purchased after 13 or so years of being shuttered.
- Le Petit Zinc, Detroit's French cafe and creperie popular for breakfast & brunch, closed on Easter Sunday.
- Valentine Distilling Company in Ferndale is going to save the planet
Motown Magic on Netflix
- Seth's Shoutout: Congrats to Eminem on 11 years of sobriety.
- Becky's Shoutout: Feet on the Street has announced new Capitol Park Strolling Brunch tours.
- Shanell's Shoutout: Good Helpers Heating & Cooling
- Michigan native Christina Koch will spend 11 months at the International Space Station.
- Favorite Place for a Romantic Date: Belle Isle
- Detroit T-Shirt Slogan: Put something exciting between your legs…ride a bike!
- Dive Bar: The Olympia on Grand River at McGraw
- Favorite Spot as a Kid: Edgewater Park
- Detroiter Everyone Should Know: Sam Riddle
- Favorite Place to See Live Music: Nancy Whiskey