Lance Kawas, the Michigan-based director and producer of Revenge of the Mask, a new short film based on the Dark Horse comic, joins us on the podcast to talk about what's happening around Detroit. Also, music writer Gary Graff drops by the podcast to talk about Greta Van Fleet, Bob Seger, and GRiZMAS.
Revenge of the Mask Trailer
Revenge of the Mask premieres on YouTube on November 30th at 9pm.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of November 19th, 2018:
- Wednesday 11/21: Work it to the Bone with Ladymonix & Peter Croce at Temple Bar
- Wednesday 11/21: Downtown Brown at The Loving Touch
- Friday 11/23: Echo & The Bunnymen at The Fillmore
- Friday 11/23: Uncle Kracker's 8th Annual Thanksgiving Hangover Bash at the Royal Oak Music Theatre
- Saturday 11/24: Detroit Funk Blues at the Scarab Club
- Sunday 11/25: Crash Test Dummies at The Crofoot Ballroom in Pontiac
- Tuesday 11/27: Halestorm at The Fillmore
- Next month, the GRiZMAS Christmas celebration returns.
- Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle in Royal Oak: Lowell Sanders
- Punch Line Comedy Lounge in Southfield: Shuckey Duckey Quack Quack
- Friday 11/23: Gabriel Iglesias, aka “Fluffy,” at Caesars Windsor
- Saturday 11/24: Craig Ferguson at MGM Grand Detroit
- Saturday 11/24: Joe Torry at Flagstar Strand Pontiac
- Sat & Sun 11/24-25: The Nutcracker at Michigan Opera Theatre
- Sunday 11/25: Murray and Peter Present A Drag Queen Christmas at The Fillmore
- Tuesday 11/27: Comedian Joe Mande at The Crofoot Ballroom in Pontiac
Rise of the Mask: Official Short
- On Thanksgiving Day, run in the Turkey Trot.
- Or enjoy the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Feather bowling destination Cadieux Cafe is changing hands.
- Lance loves to write at the Maple Art Theater & Kitchen.
Food & Drink
- Congratulation to Dearborn's Al Ameer on being names one of Eater's America's 38 Essential Restaurants!
- Miracle – A Christmas Cocktail Pop-up Bar is coming to Detroit for Christmas!
- Cheli's Chili Bar, owned by Detroit Red Wing and hockey Hall of Famer Chris Chelios, will close its last location permanently on November 24th.
- Detroit billionaire Dan Gilbert has sold Greektown Casino and bought Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com.
- Radio station Amp 98.7 (WDZH-FM) is now “The Breeze.”
- Try the Cinnamon Roll Imperial Ale from Southern Tier and the Nut Bandit Brown Ale from Odd Side Ales at Otus Supply in Ferndale.
- Thanks to the Detroit History Club for inviting us to be a part of their all-city scavenger hunt.
- Check out Anthem of the Peaceful Army, the new album from Frankenmuth's Greta Van Fleet.
- Emily T. Gail says nice things about Detroit. You should too.
- Favorite Place for Cocktails: The Rugby Grille in the Townsend Hotel
- Favorite Wintertime Activity: Going to Boyne Mountain
- Detroiter Everyone Should Know: Tim Zajaros
- Biggest Misconception about Detroit: It's dangerous.