Liz Parker of the Yes/No Detroit blog joins Seth Resler and comedian Mike Geeter to talk about what's happening in Detroit, including the Detroit Music Awards, Detroit's connection to Thanos from The Avengers: Endgame, and Jack White's honorary degree.
Also, David Kiley, Publisher & Editor-in-Chief of EncoreMichigan.com, calls in to talk about Detroit's theatre scene. And championship storyteller Nestor Gomez talks about his upcoming show at Planet Ant that shares stories from immigrants.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of Monday, April 29th 2019:
- Friday 5/3: DMX at Saint Andrews Hall
- Saturday 5/4: MC Lars at The Crofoot Ballroom in Pontiac
- Saturday 5/4: Snow Patrol at the Royal Oak Music Theatre
- Tuesday 5/7: The Lemmonheads at Saint Andrews
- Wayne State has will give Jack White an honorary degree.
- The Motown Museum is launching a musician accelerator program and giving away $20,000 grants.
Food & Drink
- Friday 5/3: Zoo Brew at The Detroit Zoo
- Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera's candy company has fallen apart.
- Mootz Pizzeria and Bar is ending it's cashless policy.
- Dragonmead Brewery in Warren will open a second location on the Nautical Mile in St. Clair Shores.
- Friday 5/3: Comedy and Conversations with the Sopranos at Andiamo Showroom
- Friday & Saturday 5/3-5/4: Three Stooges Festival at Redford Theatre
- Saturday 5/4: Free Comic Book Day at Green Brain Comics in Dearborn and Vault of Midnight
- Saturday 5/4: Ali Wong at The Filmore
- Saturday 5/4: Detroit Roller Derby at the Masonic Temple
- Sunday 5/5: Cinco De Mayo at Beacon Park
- Mike: Detroit Shipping Company and Peterboro
- Liz: Browndog Barlor
- Seth: A team of teenagers from Detroit won a competition at Louder Than a Bomb: The Michigan Youth Poetry Festival at MOCAD. They will now advance to the Brave New Voice International Youth Poetry Slam Festival in Las Vegas.
- Favorite Tea Shop: Goldfish Tea
- Favorite Movie Set in Detroit: Only Lovers Left Alive
- Favorite Spot as a Kid: Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum
- One Good Thing About Ohio: Cedar Point