Pete Peltier, the singer and guitarist for Mainstreet Soul and a four-time Detroit Music Award winner, joins Seth and Becky on the podcast to talk about what's happening in Detroit this week, including: Bob Seger's final Detroit concerts, burning a stuntman alive to honor Nicolas Cage, the return of Detroit's celebrity chefs, a peep show in Hamtramck, and a cartoon about Motown.
Also, Detroit's Chief Storyteller Aaron Foley, who also runs TheNeighborhoods.org, calls in to talk about Jefferson/Chalmers neighborhoods and Detroit's Department of Civil Rights, Inclusion, and Opportunity.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of February 18th, 2019:
- Wednesday 02/20: Gabe Gonzalez' 50th Birthday Bash at The Marble Bar
- Thursday 02/21: Kelly Clarkson at Little Caesars Arena
- Friday 02/22 & Saturday 02/23: Umphrey's McGee at The Fillmore
- Saturday 02/23: 2Cellos at Fox Theatre
- Sunday 02/24: Glorious Sons at Saint Andrews Hall
- Bob Seger announced his Roll Me Away tour will be his final tour and tickets will go on sale February 23rd.
- Friday 02/22: My Favorite Murder podcast at Fox Theatre
- Friday 02/22: The Pretty Things Peep Show at Planet Ant in Hamtramck
- Saturday 02/23: A Percussion Conversation at Carr Center
- Saturday 02/23: Skate Night at the Lexus Velodrome
- Fisher Theatre: The Play That Goes Wrong (closing)
- Matrix Theatre Company: Reap the Grove (closing)
- Wayne State's Hillberry Theatre: Angels in America: Part One (closing)
Mainstreet Soul's “In Detroit”
- Saturday, February 23rd the 6th annual Nicholas UnCaged fest at Planet Ant
- Boys Hope Girls Hope is set for the “We are the World” Festival of Hope Community Service Event at the historic Little Rock Baptist Church on Woodward in Detroit Saturday, February 23rd.
- Saturday 03/02: Arts & Scraps hosts its 30th Anniversary at The Eastern
- Monster Energy AMA Supercross at Ford Field, also will include Family Fiesta option prior to Motor Cycle racing.
Food & Drink
- Chefs Matt Prentice and Mary Liz Curtin will open Three Cats and a Cook in Clawson.
- Luciano DelSignore and Takashi Yaihashi are teaming up for a spot in Birmingham.
- Detroit Optimist Society are planning their next project in Southwest Detroit: A Korean bar and Omakase Sushi restaurant planned for 2020.
- Wednesday 02/27: Bistro 82 in Royal Oak celebrates their 5th Anniversary with $5 dishes.
G'Mac Cash's “Tired of Snow”
- Detroit Native and actor, Curtis Armstrong will be donating collectables from his 30-year career in film and television to the archives of his alma mater, Oakland University.
- Royal Oak, 8-year old girl Quinn, made Valentine's Day special for her visually impaired classmate.
- Check out Aaron Foley's book, How to Live in Detroit Without Being a Jackass
- Becky's Shoutout: Hardcore Detroit breakdance crew
- Seth's Shoutout: Motown Magic cartoon on Netflix
- Pete's Shoutout: Hostel Detroit in Corktown
Motown Magic on Netflix
- Favorite Motown Song: The Tempations' “Papa was a Rolling Stone”
- Romantic Date: Howe's Bayou
- Favorite Outdoor Festival: Plymouth Summer Concert Series
- Detroit Bragging Rights: We're Real!
- Coney Toppings: Onions, chili, and mustard
- Detroit T-shirt Slogan: “What you see is what you get”
- Detroit band you should know: The Gasoline Gypsies