TV and film costumer Renee Allen has dressed some of the biggest names to come to Detroit, including Jack White. She also owns Retro Girls, featuring usherettes wearing fashions from the 1940s. She joins the podcast to talk about what's happening in Detroit this week.
Also, Bailey Sisoy Isgro of the Detroit History Club calls in to tell us about Harry Houdini, Devil's Night, and Detroit-made Halloween candy. Join her for the All Detroit Scavenger Hunt on November 17th.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of October 29th, 2018:
- Thursday 11/1: Good Charlotte at The Fillmore
- Friday 11/2: TEN Tenors (Australia) at Ford Community & Performing Arts
- Friday 11/2: KISS tickets go on sale at 10am at Little Caesars Arena
- Saturday 11/3: Violent Femmes at The Majestic
- Sunday 11/4: Wavves and Beach Fossils at Deluxx Fluxx
- Wednesday 11/7: Josh Groban at Little Caesars Arena
- Wednesday 11/7: Drinkard Sisters & Little Traps at Willis Show Bar
Dia de Los Muertos Scene in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle in Royal Oak: Craig Shoemaker “The Lovemaster”
- Punch Line Comedy Lounge in Southfield: Capone, the Gangsta of Comedy
- Thursday 11/1: The Moth at Marble Bar (Theme: Beginnings)
- Friday & Saturday 11/2-11/3: Champions of Magic at Fox Theatre
- Saturday 11/3: Steve Martin & Martin Short at Caesars Windsor
- Sunday 11/4: Team Coco Presents Conan & Friends at The Fillmore
- Wednesday 11/7: Jim Steinman's Bat Out of Hell at Fox Theatre
- Opening: Doubt: A Parable at the Open Book Theatre Company
- Opening: Evidence of Things Unseen at the Detroit Repertory
- Closing: Clue at the Ringwald
- Closing: The Very Hungry Caterpillar & Other Eric Carle Favorites at Music Hall
- Closing: Pipeline By Dominique Morisseau at the Detroit Public Theatre:
- Hudson's Building Film showing at the Detroit Historical Museum
- Saturday 11/3: Mariachia Femenil Detroit Presents Dia de Los Muertos Concert at Cultural Garage
- Sunday 11/4: The Run of the Dead presented by the Southwest Detroit Business Association
- Thursday 11/11: Ofrendas: Celebrating el Dia de Muertos at the DIA
Food & Drink
- Get some brains to eat for Halloween at Red Dunn Kitchen!
- Bikes & Coffee Detroit will fix your bike while you enjoy a coffee.
- Yum Village is coming to New Center on Woodward Avenue.
- Oak Park has reversed its ban on clown costumes.
- The Detroit Zoo has released dusky gopher frogs into the wild for the first time.
- Thrillist named Josh Adams the “Best Undiscovered Stand-Up Comedian” in Michigan.
- Dave Landau's Film The King of Detroit is now available on Amazon Prime.
The King of Detroit Trailer
- Detroiter She Wants to Dress: Jack White
- Favorite Detroit Musical Artists: Duende, The Muggs
- Favorite Boutique Clothing Store: Lost & Found Vintage in Royal Oak
- Detroiter Everyone Should Follow on Social Media: Danny Muggs of The Muggs
- Favorite Place to Buy Unique Gifts: Rat Queen Vintage in Hamtramck
- Favorite Detroit Dive Bar: Outer Limits Lounge
- When She'd Go if She Had a Time Machine: The Hudson's Building at Christmas