Tazeen Ayub, host of the Digging Deeper podcast and one half of the Afro-jazz collective Lu Fuki & Divine Providence, joins Seth and Becky to talk about what's happening in Detroit, including Winter Blast, new exhibits at MOCAD, and Diana Ross at the Grammys.
Also, MOCAD's new Senior Curator Larry Ossei-Mensah talks about the museum's winter exhibitions. Plus, Steve Johnson of Motor City Brew Tours drops by to talk about what's happening in the local beer scene.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of February 4th, 2019:
- Wednesday 2/6: Bowie Night IV at The Loving Touch in Ferndale
- Thursday 2/9: Sheila E. with Steffanie Christi'an at Sound Board
- Saturday 2/9: The Michigan Music Festival at The Crofoot Ballroom in Pontiac
- Sunday 2/9: 10th annual J Dilla Day at the Charles H. Wright Museum
- Tuesday 2/12: Cher at the Little Caesars Arena
Becky Scarcello on Digging Deeper
- Friday 2/8: Adam Sandler at the Fox Theatre
- Saturday 2/9: Legally Blonde: The Musical at the Fox Theatre
- City Theater: Friends! The Musical Parody
- Punch Line Comedy Lounge in Southfield: CoCo
- Wayne State's Hillberry Theatre: Angels in America: Part One – Millennium Approaches
Toni Harris of Redford in Toyota's Superbowl Ad
- Saturday 2/9: Duel in the D at the Little Caesars Arena
- Saturday 2/9: Cubs Choice Dance at the Detroit Zoo
- Sunday 2/10: Valentine's Day Market presented by Handmade Detroit at the Majestic Theatre
- Winter Blast continues for two more weekends
- Wednesday 2/13: Beer My Valentine Pop-up Show at Batch Brewing Company in Corktown
Vox's Earworm: How J Dilla Humanized His MPC3000
Food & Drink
- The Free Press will publish its list of Detroit's 10 best new restaurants soon. In the meantime, here are the runners up.
- Google Labs says Detroit is the #1 city for pizza.
- Saturdays in February, celebrate Black History Month at River Bistro.
- Dearborn Restaurant Week is February 11th through the 17th.
- Detroit Restaurant Week is February 22nd through March 3rd.
- Author Liz Crowe combines romance novels and craft beer.
- Founders Brewing Co. will bring back its Kentucky Breakfast Stout soon.
- Join Steve Johnson of Motor City Brew Tours for a bus trip to the Winter Beer Festival in Grand Rapids.
- Wednesday 2/27: Steve Johnson will give a Detroit Beer History Talk at Detroit Shipping Company.
Grilling an iPhone
- Becky's Shoutout: Antihero, the new Japanese restaurant in Ferndale
- Tazeen's Shoutout: The band River Spirit has a new album called Me I Fall.
- Seth's Shoutout: The House on Poe Street at the Detroit Repertory Theatre.
- Favorite Song by a Detroit Artist: “Gold” by Mahogany Jones
- Not-So-Hidden Gem in Detroit: Eastern Market
- Detroiter People Should Follow on Instagram: Soul singer Sophiyah E.
- Favorite Moment in Detroit's History: Its Participation in the Underground Railroad
- Favorite Local Museum: The DIA